Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reading lessons for little boys

(Excuse the yellow color of the photos... I took them late at night in my not very well lit bedroom!)

One of the children I watch is a 4 year old boy who loves anything that has to do with cars (the movie, and matchbox!), and hates anything that has to do with learning to read. He doesn't want to learn the alphabet, he wants to sort his cars. Which is fine, he's ONLY 4 years old! But I was trying to come up with a way to make learning to read more exciting to him - something he wants to do, not loathes the thought of!

So I was on Google Images and had the wonderful inspiration! I dragged images of cars into our word program (okay, so I am not selling this...it is for my own use so I am not worrying about copy rights... just FYI! Besides, if people don't want their images taken for other uses, they could easily lock them. These were not locked. ;-) Just so you know...)

First, an alphabet chart:


A little encouragement always helps:

Next, a couple of easy reading lists:


He really loved the cars! It captivated his attention... not just words or letters on a page, but words written on CARS!!! And a little incentive ... when he can read the two word sheets he will get a Cars2 folder. It's worth learning to read just for that!

I will certainly add to the files of reading lessons for him, but this was my late night of inspiration. I wanted to have it ready to take when I babysat the next day:-) And now the phonics lessons I made for his sister (see next post!).

No comments: