Friday, August 17, 2012

Mock Apple Butter (aka - what to do with all that zucchini!)

A friend from church shared this recipe with me. Our garden is spitting out zucchini faster than I can work with, and a triple batch of this used up about 5 or 6 of them.  It's so delicious, and REALLY does taste like apple butter! It will  be great on toast or waffles.

Mock Apple Butter
Ingredients:
4 cups zucchini puree
4 Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 cups sugar (I used half dark brown and half white)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Peel and seed zucchini. Chop coarsely and run through a blender or food processor along with vinegar until smooth. In a sauce pan combine puree with remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally until desired thickness.
Cool and refrigerate or can while hot in hot water bath canner. (I looked up timing for canning and it seems to be 15-20 minutes. I am doing 20 minutes to be safe, in pint jars) 


No comments: