Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Running

This is something that has been on my heart, and I wanted to share it. May it encourage you as you run the race!


I used to hate running. I could run for about a minute, then my lungs would feel like they were collapsing, I couldn't breath, and my legs hurt. I loved to walk! I would walk sometimes 5 or more miles. But I had just resorted to the fact that I was not a runner. But somehow, I always admired those who did run, and sort of wish I could be like that!

During my third year in Africa I had a revelation (well, maybe not what you would call a revelation, but to me it was). I didn't have to run a 5 K to be able to "run". I decided if I could run for a minute, I would run for a minute. Then walk for a few minutes. Then run another minute. I used to go down to the soccer field on our children's center at night, after the children had gone to bed. I would run with my cell phone to keep time. The first night, I geared myself up with a water bottle, and was excited to get started! I ran from one goal across to the other. And then had to walk back and forth a few times before my lungs stopped hurting.
But I was determined. I ran across the soccer field again. Each night that I went out to run, I would push myself a little farther. I learned to breath properly. I could run to the opposite goal and back. Then walk it once, then run it again. Soon I could do the length of the soccer field back and forth a couple of times. I remember one day I ran back and forth (both ways being 1 lap) 15 times! Then 20 times!

When I returned home I was excited about running. But running on the paved road and with hills is allot harder than running on the packed sand of the soccer field. I ran a mile and was exhausted. But soon I was running 2 and then 3 miles.

I have kind of run during the Summer, and then in the winter I stop because it's so cold, and my eyes water so much I can't see with the icy wind blowing in my face.

Now it is Summer again, and I was determined to get myself back into running. I ran 2 miles a few times a week for a few weeks. Finally last week I was able to run to my brothers and back (3.2 miles round trip). On Friday I ran 4 miles!! My goal for the end of the Summer is to be able to run 6 miles. I am going to push myself to do it!

When I run, I talk to God. I have spent allot of time working things out with Him while running. It's a time I can focus and think. I am not distracted by things that need done (usually) because they are not staring me in the face. I love to run, even if I have to walk a little here and there. And always when I feel like giving up, or I set out to do 3 miles, and decide I will settle for 2, I feel the Holy Spirit nudging me about perseverance. About holding strong to the end. About running in such a way as to receive the prize. There are so many life applications when you run! It's about training. About patience. About zeal, and perseverance. Not living life aimlessly, living for whatever satisfies for the moment. It's about keeping ourselves on the track, our eyes fixed on the goal, and disciplining ourselves. It's about living life in such a way that we will receive the prize for the high calling in Christ Jesus. And to me, it's about running WITH Jesus! When I go for runs, it's like I have a coach (the Holy Spirit) encouraging me to keep going, don't give up early! You can make it. Your almost there! It's going to be worth it, you'll see!" And in life, it's that same relationship. We are not running aimlessly, but we are submitting ourselves to Christ. He is shaping us. It's about the wonderful relationship with God that we have been graciously given! He wants to see us through to the end! He wants us to have the inheritance He has purchased for us. And He wants you to hold on to the end, because it's so worth it!


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1


"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a main running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

No comments: